Friday, July 31, 2009

I am so glad that you care...

Thanks for the comments on the last post, I did not know that you cared, and am even more glad that people sometimes read this. "Real" might be too harsh for you guys, so I'll keep it to a tid-bit of real every once in a while.



All is well here. It's about to rain (again) and Java and Sun are the happiest together I've seen them. Sun is really settling in well. Java is in relaxed summer mode, which is perfection topped with fabulous. Yes, I love her.

Java and Sun in the back. Sorry for the boring photo, but if I get too close to the fence they will think that I have something for them, and, well, I don't.


Sun's owner comes by almost every day, and she takes great care of him. He is only 3, and does a consistent amount of groundwork with him and takes a lesson once a week. She rides Sun about 2 or 3 times a week and the most they have done is walk and very little trot. His steering is his challenge. His owner is fantastic with him, and he seriously is a very good boy and wonderful to have here. I thought I wanted to snap his head off about 2 weeks ago, but did not and now love him. He got over his annoying-settling in phase and is now his normal self and a real sweetie. His owner and I get along great, a plus.


Speaking of lesson... Java and I are having one on Sunday. One lesson, the first in about 5 years, one whole week before the infamous Horse Trails that we are showing in. Way to wing it. It will be fun, java will have a blast and I'll probably talk about it for years. If we love it, we'll do more and really get going.


OK: a dose of real, more like a recurring thought that I have: Facebook is bunk. I seriously doubt if any of the friends I have on there are really friends. I have something like 110 friends on Facebook, about average, and I find their status updates about weather and cocktails really... stupid. To be more specific, it seems that my facebook friends are shallow, and do not know me at all. AND, I'm OK with that. I like you, my blog friends better. My Facebook friends don't even read my blog and think I care if their commute sucks, job sucks, or if they are stuck in traffic on Martha's Vineyard, which I do care, a little, it reminds me that my little world is darn awesome: do you know what I mean?


Bin #1 Manure is 145*. I knew you were wondering.



And... her hair is still long (for now):

6 comments:

the7msn said...

Couldn't agree with you more about the Facebook bunk.

Back in the olden days when I had a compost pile, it would let off smoke once in awhile and scare the hell out of me. Do you get smoke with the cabana set-up?

Anonymous said...

I don't do Facebook and haven't really been tempted.

Sun sounds like a great horse, and you're lucky to have his caring owner as a boarder.

Always glad to see photos of the horses in the paddocks!

Java's Mom said...

The manure cabana does not smoke. The stuff in is wet down to a certain level (like a wrung out sponge: I'm instructed as I am the manure manager). When turned, it really steams. The compostex cover is some tech cloth that lets air out, moiture out and in and the vent pipe thing keeps it from getting too hot (sorry for the uber laymans language on that). No smoke, yes steam. Probably because of the mositure and vent pipe. Mr. Java's mom has turned bin #1 twice so far and is turning again this weekend, this may also be why it's not getting too hot. Hope that helps. It's REALLY a cool set up and the heap shrinks an incredible amount as it composts. COOL!

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I said on an earlier post that you will have a BLAST at the horse trials! When I ventured into eventing a few years ago with my (now mainly retired) hunter we kicked butt and had too much fun. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Psaelemn said...

I like reading your blog, but since I don't know you I feel like I'd be a bit annoying always commenting on Java's drool worth barn.

Interesting note- I know of a three-year-old gelding name Sunny. He is a total teenager at the moment. It's ironic to read about a 3yo named Sun.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Facebook is bunk, I agree. The only 'luck' I've had with it is old boyfriends finding me. lol! And that's only been slightly amusing. Everything else is a complete bore. I get tired of people giving me virtual trees and livestock to play some crazy game called FarmTown, too. Why do I need to milk virtual cows and grow acres of virtual corn when I have my own farm? gah!

That last photo of Bandy on your lovely patio is so endearing.

re: Sun and his owner...wow! How quickly things change, eh?

Trying to catch up with your blog today. I've missed so much, it seems.

~Lisa

word verification: imisubig

lol!