Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Physics and Chemistry

Good god, it's absolutely pouring rain. I'm biting my nails trying to design our garden area (to sell veggies next year because I'm going to become a superfarmer) and rain gardens to soak up run off that likes to pool near some of our new big trees. Java thinks this rain/monsoon episode is just fine as she pokes her head out the window, munching on hay. Sun thinks this is fine too, munching hay, dropping copious amounts outside his window and making a huge pig pen of his stall. And I'm for some reason stressing about it all. Mr. Java's Mom keeps calling from work asking me where the water is running to and from... I'm like "heck, it's pouring, the water is everywhere and coming from um... everywhere" I swear, he just called and is on his way home to observe the water running down hill because I'm not able to give a reason for the runoff aside from that we live on a slope and it's raining. I personally think that is is quite convenient that the rain runs down our hill. We don't use any chemicals, so that's great with me. But Mr. Java's Mom wants to know MORE.

When this rain lets up and the horses go out finally is when I will muck, and with all this extra stall time it will most certainly be a two trip-per to the Manure Cabana.


The Manure Cabana by the way was cookin' good yesterday morning with a temperature reading of 157* at 9:00 am. Yep, hot hot hot. I took the thermometer out and the end was steaming. If only science/physics/chemistry was this interesting in school. I wonder if I could get my D in those courses retroactively corrected if I could prove that I can mix the proper amount of nitrogen (manure and horse pee) and carbon (bedding and hay) to cook to 157* and keep it that way for 10 days to become certified organic... Take THAT!!! I can see the tag line of the marketing campaign now (and if someone for some reason steals this tagline and uses it I will hunt them down and poke them with my 36' compost thermometer): Picture a bag of black gold compost and the copywriting: "Certified Organic Compost= Rocket Fuel for your plantings made by the girl that could not achieve higher than a D in classes that teach about why manure is now the rocket fuel that you are paying for".



Chief Pooper:




Assistant Pooper:

6 comments:

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

They look so cute looking out their windows!

Anonymous said...

Love those windows - wish we had some like them!

Unknown said...

Yo seester...you spelled "Chief" wrong...don't want to offend the "pooper" now. ;-P

Java's Mom said...

Thanks Max. I swear that I woke up in the middle of the night after posting this thinking abut Cheif/Chief!!! All done, and a few other typos fixed.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I before e, except c, or when sounding like a, as in neighbor and weigh.

My kids, all homeschooled have had that drilled into them. lol!

I'm a true believer that the best way to learn is by doing, or experiencing things....not so much with the book knowledge. That comes after the doing. It's called post-research. :)

Your manure cabana sounds like a true success. Your veggie garden will show it's appreciation for you next year. :)

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

'except AFTER c.

Ooops!

~Lisa