Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Home Alone

Farm tour post to come next... until then, a dose of reality:



Java is home alone.








I'm trying to figure out how to make sense of it, and as one COTH'er (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/) pointed out, and it went something like this: "Some horse owners think they do things and make decisions that they think are the best for their horse. But, it almost always is something they are in fact doing for themselves".





I could comment on what horse owners could think about instead and what could be a healthy life for a horse, but if you understand the above statement, you certainly don't need to hear it from me and you understand exactly what I am talking about. If you don't understand the statement, as least you recognize that and will hopefully listen to those that know.




Every little little little detail I think about the horses. Java has taught me very well to listen.








SO, Maggie was picked up on Memorial Day. When my father was visiting from South Carolina, when you think you can relax a little and reflect on the good life you have.



Maggie left with less than 24 hour notice.

Maggie was glowing, happy, relaxed and so happy to have Java as her girlfriend. I gave daily kisses on the nose, wiped between her hind legs, lent splint boots, bell boots, turnout sheet, flymask, supplements, examined every little bit of her environment daily to make sure she was comfortable... And now she's gone. I was told that things here were wonderful, but that the owner was just so worried and had to bring her back to the "full service" barn at her old place. It is a nice barn, and they are in it for 23.5 hours daily, if you don't count time when they are in the mechanical walker.



They were screaming for each other, panicked that they were being separated. Maggie loaded obediently, but quickly realized what was happening. I politely and affectionately said bye to Maggie's owner and our friend who picked Maggie up and ran back to the barn to try to comfort Java. I cried a lot.



This is amazing to me.



Partly because Maggie was moved from here, partly because they knew Java would be left alone, partly because it was short notice, and partly because Java is handling the situation so well.



I am not going to rush to fill the stalls. These things always work out, and this will just have to be one of those situations.



Java is lonely, but calm, and she has me, Bandy and Mackie when I can tear them away from the car, lots of hand grazing around the house (saves us from weed whacking anyway), long long relaxing trail rides, and now I thank god for the construction crew next door to keep her company too. I'm spending a lot of time doing tiny projects around the barn just to keep her company. She has been amazing, and incredibly accepting of the situation.


As Mr. Java's Mom says, she is OK because she is HOME.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Java will be OK - as you say, she's still at home. I think some horse owners, particularly those who haven't (yet - we hope) learned how to do all the things that go into horse care, take comfort from the routine and (perhaps illusory) feeling of security they get from a full service/limited turnout barn. Also they see lots of people (often those with the most expensive horses) doing this and considering it normal, so it must be all right, right? Some people are also fearful that their horse will be injured or marked up by the other horses in turnout - it does happen. I started out feeling and thinking those things myself before I learned more and decided that, at least for me, all day turnout in a small herd situation is best for the horse. I'm sorry your boarder left but you'll have others, perhaps those who better understand what you have to offer.

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

Wow, I was really shocked to read that. Who wouldn't want their horse with you with your TLC and absolutely lovely little place?? The incredibly short notice is so inconsiderate for so many reasos.

Some people truly think that horses are happiest living like people. I used to think that. Thank goodness I saw the light many years ago.

Everything happens for a reason and like you said, things will work out. Just think of what you probably just avoided in the future. I'm glad Java is adjusting well and being so good. Mr. Java is right, she's home and she's happy. And I'm sure she'll stay that way!

jill said...

I'm sorry about your situation. You're right, let it go, and the right person/horses will come. Our little barn has no indoor, but the care, trails and wonderful pasture turnout more than make up for it. It's inconvienent for us, but the horses are so happy with their lives.
People think horses are pets to keep caged up and pampered. A horse would rather be dirty, socialize and move around all day.
Java will be healthier and happier in the long run because of how you care for her. It's just unfortunate that folks don't understand how good it is at your place! Someone will eventually though! Then you will be happy because they'll apprecicate you and your hard work to keep the horses happy.

ChicagoGrrrl said...

i feel sorry for maggie. her owners are doing nothing for her, putting her in a prison, denying her a natural horse life. oh how awful. its like crating a dog all day, never letting them play w another dog, feeding them only 1/2 cup of processed chemical food pellets a day. never off a leash. it is depressing. poor poor maggie. to taste the good life and have it yanked away so suddenly. her owners will reap bad bad karma for this.