Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Footing installation of the sacrafice/all weather pens
This lovely hot hot sweltering hot weekend we got to the next phase of our all weather sacrifice pens.
Yes, I'm excited about these. Excited!!!
And, yes, I am glad that Mr. Java's Mom did more work than me on these, I think I would have melted into a useless heap if this project took one more minute.
There was a lot of seat time logged on the tractors.
Epic seat time for me actually.
I used the other tractor to move the dirt to another area while Mr. Java's mom graded and measured, etc.
I usually watch him, worry and say, "that's not going to work".
First, we box bladed the area.
We had to pull up the top soil, dig down and grade.
Then, I'm in the barn mucking and hear unhappy noises coming from Mr. Java's Mom.
The box blade is bent. in 6 places. That one tree root bent the steel. Oops.
That tree root is not even part of a tree anymore. It's a little surprise left over from clearing the barn site, that used to be buried... not anymore.
Well, the show must go on, the box blade had more work to do, bent or not.
Mr. Java's Mom scraped and graded, and moved dirt off the area... for what seemed like forever.
Then we cut the geotextile fabric to size and pinned it down.
This fabric will keep the area mud free by not allowing dirt to
come up into the gravel, and not allowing the gravel to go down into the dirt.
We got it from FarmTek. In a big giant 250 lb roll.
I remember this because I unloaded it off the freight truck, it was pretty heavy.
I tried to make it look easy as the driver helped. I'm not known for my strength.